The Occupational Health and Safety Group
GL: Yves Loertscher, DGL: Saverio La Mendola
Assistant: Celine Ecarnot
The HSE unit’s Occupational Health and Safety group, HSE-OHS:
- provides expert assistance in assessing how to reduce and monitor occupational health and safety hazards,
- proposes ways to improve occupational health and safety based, in particular, on feedback and best practice,
- monitors compliance with occupational health and safety rules, particularly through safety reviews and inspections,
- checks and approves the safety arrangements for facilities, including those for special equipment, activities, projects and experiments at CERN that could have a major impact on Safety,
- provides the Organization’s employed members of the personnel with occupational health and insurance medicine service,
- dispenses primary care to people present on the CERN site.
The mandate of HSE-OHS does not include radiation protection.
In particular, HSE-OHS:
- supports the Organization’s efforts to uphold and develop a Safety culture;
- provides technical support in various areas of Safety, including compliance analysis, encompassing the full life cycle of CERN’s facilities (study, installation, acceptance, operation and dismantling),
- in partnership with the CERN Fire and Rescue service, provides fire-safety engineering services, such as fire hazard analyses, fire and evacuation drills, structural fire protection calculations and firefighting strategies,
- evaluates the compliance of technical and operational documents with the applicable Safety rules and standards, and helps the stakeholders identify optimal, state-of-the-art solutions,
- develops and maintains tools, instruments and methods that are adapted to the specific technical safety risk management requirements of CERN’s facilities,
- conducts safety reviews in order to assess the implementation of protection measures and propose improvements in particular through safety campaigns,
- conducts technical inspections of the facilities,
- monitors the health of employed members of the personnel and issues a medical opinion on their capacity to carry out their functions,
- contributes to efforts to protect the occupational health of people participating in CERN's activities,
- dispenses primary care.